
RE: Kitchen Table Wisdom
by Rachel Naomi Remen
this book was not like a date. it was more like a late night trip to smith's when you don't need anything but once you are there you find things that you really need and didn't know it. things like answers and really funny jokes and directions and kindness and a renewed trust in humanity...etc
i.e. i really enjoyed and needed this. Kitchen Table Wisdom is a collection of experiences and stories from the author's life. mostly they tell of the physical and emotional struggle humans face when their lives are threatened. some of them live and some of them die. and it is ok.
quotes:
"when we wear a belief and look at life through it, it is difficult to convince ourselves that what we see is not what is real... according to a talmudic teaching, "we do not see things as they are. we see them as we are."
"The part in us that feels suffering is the same as the part that feels joy."
"and i say to god, 'god, is it ok to loff strangers?' and god says, 'yitzak, vat is dis strangers? you make strangers. i don't make strangers.'"
"it is often through the quality of our listening and not the wisdom of our words that we are able to effect the most profound changes in the people around us."
felt really grateful: 8
felt that i could be kinder: 13
2 comments:
Fantastic! I am so thrilled you enjoyed it. This book became my nightly balm before bed, putting things in perspective for the coming morning. And I really liked the quotes you picked out, a number of which I didn't recall.
We miss you, too. Happy Canada Day!
Hey Kaity-- I found your blog on someone else's, and I love your idea of addressing blogs to different people. I especially liked your comment about going to Smiths late at night-- perfect way to sum up some reading experiences.
Post a Comment