
RE: mistakes were made (but not by me)
by carol tavris and ellion aronson
this book was like a date with two social psychologists who secretly know something very personal about you but they won't say it outrightly because they want you to realize it for yourself- that way you are more ashamed. kind of like when your uncle finds out that you have a crush on a boy and keeps nudging you and winking because he wants you to know that he knows. and if he knows, every one knows.
i.e. it was a'ight. i've read a few other books on this topic and probably learned more from them than from this one. comparable in style to freakonomics, mistakes were made presents a series of examples that illustrate the very human need to be right. it's main focus is on the causes and effects of "disonance" or rather, a misalignment of one's perception of reality and reality as supported by contradicting evidence.
here are some books that do what this book tried to do but better:
the peacegiver
leadership and self-deception
quotes...
"people become more certain they are right about something if they can't undo it."
"we humans are creatures who spend our lives trying to convince ourselves that our existence is not absurd" (albert camus)
"a dog may appear contrite for having been caught peeing on the carpet but she will not try to think up a reason to justify her misbehavior."
wanted to stop reading about child abuse and crooked cops: 9
3 comments:
this sounds kind of harsh, but i am still grateful for the recommendation . moms is a champ- i'd say 90% of the books i love have been mom suggested.
That's OK...I really like all the Arbinger books better too...I just thought it was interesting that other people recognize this human tendancy and how pervasive it is! The more we can recognize the ways we can deceive ourselves maybe we'll be less likely to fall into that trap...love, Mom (have you read The Holy Secret yet?)
I started reading this one, but I'm currently reading 5 books I think, so I haven't made much progress.
Post a Comment